HAXM Installation Failed is a very common error that occurs when installing Android Studio. This guide explains what is Intel HAXM and how to install Intel HAXM. We will also look at various issues that may result in HAXM installation failed error and how to solve them.
Table of Content
- What is Intel HAXM
- Why HAXM Installation Fails
- How to Install HAXM
- Check if HAXM is installed
What is Intel HAXM
The HAXM stands for Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager. It is a cross-platform hardware-assisted virtualization engine (hypervisor), The Android Emulator use HAXM in intel platforms to speedup & improve performance
Why HAXM Installation Fails
The Android Studio Installs Intel HAXM when you install Android Studio. But you may get the HAXM Installation Failed message because of the following reasons
- The processor is not Intel-based
- Unsupported OS
- Hyper-V Manager must be disabled
- Virtualization must be enabled in Bios ( VT-x )
- The PC must support Virtualisation
- Avast Antivirus may interfere with HAXM Installation
The processor is not Intel-based
OS Not supported
- Supported Windows OS is 7, 8, 8.1 & 10.
- Supported macOS is 10.12, 10.13 & 10.14
- Only 64 bit OS is supported.
Disable the Hyper-V Manager
Hyper-V is another Virtualisation technique just like Intel HAXM. You cannot use both at the same time. Hence, It is necessary to Disable Hyper-V. You can follow these steps to disable Hyper-V
- Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off
- From the window disable Hyper-V options
- Reboot your machine
Hyper-V might not be disabled
If you have windows 10 features such as Device Guard and Credential Guard is enabled, it can prevent Hyper-V from being completely disabled.
The Device Guard and Credential Guard hardware readiness tool released by Microsoft can disable the said Windows 10 features along with Hyper-V:
- Download the latest version of the Device Guard and Credential Guard hardware readiness tool.
- Open the Command Prompt using Run as administrator
@powershell -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Command "X:\path\to\dgreadiness_v3.6\DG_Readiness_Tool_v3.6.ps1 -Disable"
Virtualization is disabled in Bios
If virtualization is disabled in the BIOS, you need to enable it.
Turn off the PC and then turn it On. Press either F2 or DEL ( The key may differ in your PC) key to enter the BIOS at the startup. You will likely to see a message at the startup regarding the key to press to enter the BIOS
You may see the Virtualisation under any of the following menus.
- Advanced Chipset Control
- Advanced CPU Configuration
The feature may go by the name
- VT-d (as in the above image)
- Intel Virtualization Technology
- Intel VT
- Virtualization Extensions
PC Does not support Virtualisation
Your CPU may not support Virtualisation. You can refer to Does My Processor Support Intel® Virtualization Technology? article to check if your PC Supports Virtualisation
Avast Antivirus interferes with HAXM Installation
The Avast Antivirus interferes with the HAXM installation. It may also slow down the Android Emulator. The workaround is goto Avast Settings > Troubleshooting and uncheck “Use nested virtualization where available” option
How to Install HAXM
There are two ways in which you can install Intel HAXM.
- Using the Android SDK Manager
- Direct Download & Install
Installing from Android SDK Manager
Go to Android SDK Manager (Tools -> SDK Manager) and select SDK Tools. You will find the Intel x86 Emulator Accelerator HAXM installer listed here. Select it and click on OK.
The clicking OK button does not install the HAXM Always. But it will copy the downloaded files to the under the SDK Location
You can then click on the
intelhaxm-android.exe to install as shown below
Direct Download & Install
You can directly download the Installer from the link HAXM Releases
Once you unzip the file, you will find the
Welcome to the Intel HAXM setup wizard
Click on Next to complete the installation.
Check if Intel HAXM Can be installed
haxm_check.exe to check if VT is supported in your PC
Check if HAXM is installed
Finally, you need to check if HAXM is installed and running. You can do it from the command prompt by using the command
sc query intelhaxm
- Direct Download Link of HAXM
- Does My Processor Support Intel® Virtualization Technology?
- Device Guard and Credential Guard hardware readiness tool
- Android Emulator – AMD Processor & Hyper-V Support
- What is HyperVisor
- Execute Disable Bit
Installing Intel HAXM is a must if you want to run Android Emulator in Windows PC. Without which the Android Emulator will run very slowly. It is installed, when Android Studio is installed, but you get the HAXM Installation Failed error message. The most common error is due to the fact that Virtualisation is not enabled on your PC. Or because HyperVisor is running or the processor is not intel based. We learned how to solve all these issues in this guide